first worship service of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was held on
November 10, 1918 at the Central Avenue Fire House by the Reverend F.P.
Wilhelm. Thirty-five adults and
eight children were present. Reverend Daniel M. Kleist was installed as the first resident Pastor on
September 9, 1919 and the Church became
incorporated on September 19, 1919.
present location of our congregation on Palisade Avenue was acquired in 1919 and
groundbreaking ceremonies for a church edifice were held on March 15,
1920. Since that time, several additions
have been made to the original building and in 1951 the entire building was expanded. In
1961, the congregation erected a new educational building for its Sunday School. In 2016, the church underwent a major
renovation of the Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall.
In addition to Pastor Kleist who served Trinity from September 1919 to 1946, the congregation has been served by the following pastors: The Rev. Louis C. Meyer, 1947-1956; The Rev. Dr. Walter C. Martin, 1957-1981; The Rev. Dr. Stephen P. Bouman, 1981-1992; The Rev. David J. Meyers, 1994-2006; The Rev. Peter A. Olsen, 2008-2018; The Rev. Rachel M. Zarnke, 2015-2018 and The Rev. Lisa S. Holliday, 2020-present.
The Church opened Trinity Lutheran School in 1982 as a part of its educational ministry and it has been in continuous service since then. The school offers private classes which infuse basic Christian values as well as Universal Pre-K which is overseen by the Bogota Board of Education. Trinity School offers the children of Bergen County an atmosphere of Christian love in which to grow and develop socially, academically and spiritually.
Through our personal evangelism, social ministries, community work and school, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church will continue its mission to share the love of Jesus Christ in our community and the world.